How is it different? It’s hard to describe.. The only word I have is REAL. When you make a beautiful meal, it deserves the best bread component. And this is it!
The pitas cook quickly and get nice and brown fast, so pay close attention while they are cooking.
Homemade Pita Bread
- Large skillet
- 1 c warm water (at 100-104 degrees to activate yeast)
- 1 packet of yeast
- Pinch sugar
- 2 t salt
- 1 T olive oil
- 3 c flour
- Add warm water, yeast, and sugar in a large bowl and leave to activate for about 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add salt and oil to the bowl, then the flour. Once everything is mixed together you will need to knead the dough for 5-10 minutes. If you have a stand mixer, use that – but it's very easy to do by hand with this very elastic dough.
- Lightly brush a bowl with oil, then set the kneaded dough in the bowl and cover with a towel. Let it rise until it’s doubled in size, about an hour.
- Put dough on a floured counter or pastry sheet. Cut into 8 equal pieces. Make them into balls then roll them out as round as you can, about 4-6 inches in width.
- Grill in a pan or a griddle, add oil if it is a type of pan that needs a little oil. They cook fast! About a minute on each side.