This is my favorite way to eat tuna salad! Basically, this is backwards because you are using more vegetables than mayonnaise and/or tuna. The tuna and the mayonnaise are backstage versus the main event.
Of course, many substitutions are possible. But notice the list of ingredients in this recipe before you change anything.
- Sweet: tomatoes, red pepper
- Salty: capers
- Spicy: jalapenos
- Savory: almonds
- Tangy: Mayonnaise (vinegar based)
So if you swap anything, replace with a similar flavor group. It’s the balance of sweet, spicy, salty, savory and tangy that work in most combinations of food.
This delicious tuna salad is best served on a bed of lettuce, in a half melon or open faced on a good bread like toasted sourdough!
Backwards Tuna Salad
- 1 medium-size can White Albacore (in water)
- 4 green onions
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/4 c almonds (sliced)
- 1/8 c capers (chopped)
- 1/2 c grape tomatoes (quartered)
- 1 medium stalk celery
- 1/2 small fresh jalapeños (minced)
- 1/2 t dried dill
- ½ t salt
- ½ t pepper
- ¼ c mayonnaise
- ½ head butter lettuce
- Place all ingredients except lettuce in a bowl and mix together.
- Use enough mayonnaise to just lightly cover food. Vegetables give so much flavor, so you only need 1/2 as much mayonnaise as traditional recipes. Start with 2T at most and go from there.
- Shred lettuce and place on 2 plates.
- Serve salad on lettuce.